Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Awards and recognition in India - the way I see it

 I was never into applying for any award, memberships or recognition because I feel that we should not apply or influence someone to get recognized and till now I hold the same ground. I feel recognition should come from the work you do not by lobbying or by knowing someone. As I see more and more people recognized by their contribution to a certain field I fail to find where the real contribution is. In India, if one wins one award, they also win all others one after the other. Because one recognition gets some visibility that drives the other and so on. Now, I take a pause and would like to ponder over the quality of the people who determine who should be awarded. Do they read enough papers, do they update themselves with the technology OR they are part of some gossip club where science and technology is gossiped and hearsay determines the future.  Recently, 75 women were celebrated for their contribution in STEAM. Now I am wondering where are their contributions hiding. Who has decided that. Sadly, I see many distinct names missing who are in a much better place to be nominated rather than the people who adorn this list. I feel it is time, we stop celebrating such successes and stop spreading lies, give promotions and recognition to such people if we really want to enhance our science. 

No comments:

Post a Comment